- Course Materials may be returned for a full refund during the first week of the semester. To receive a full refund, textbooks must meet the return dates and be in their original condition.
- B-Term textbooks may be returned one week from the start of the course. Course Packets may be returned within three days of the start of the course. To receive a full refund, textbooks must meet the return dates and be in their original condition.
Open Loose-Leaf materials are not returnable.
- Course Materials for classes lasting two weeks or less are not refundable.
- eTextbooks are returnable two weeks from the purchase date up to the last day of returns as listed above. eTextbooks are not returnable once accessed.
- eTextbooks are not refundable once accessed
- Digital course packets are not refundable
If you need to exchange or return an item you ordered online from our website, repackage your order and ship to the following address.
- U of MN Bookstore
- Attn: Textbook Returns
- 300 Washington Ave SE
- Minneapolis, MN 55455
All-Inclusive Classes With Required Digital Course Materials
If your instructor has selected digital materials for your course, the content is automatically delivered to your learning platform and billed to your student account. If you wish to opt out of these course materials please send an email from your University of Minnesota email account with your name, course and section number to Digital Opt Out.
B-Term and 8 Week Summer Session Return Dates
Returnable one week from start of class. Course packets are returnable the first three days.
May Term and Summer Courses that meet less than 8 weeks, but more than 2 weeks Return Dates.
Returnable the first three days of class. Course packets are returnable the first day only.
Courses Meeting Two Weeks or Less Return Dates
Online and Distance Learning Returns
Returnable within two months of the start date of the extended term if you cancel your registration. You must provide your receipt and proof of your cancellation. Textbooks must be in original condition. Textbooks will be considered used and not eligible for a refund if you write in them or cancel after two months.
Returnable within one week of the start date of the summer term and within two weeks of the start date of the fall or spring term if you cancel your registration. You must provide your receipt and proof of your cancellation. Textbooks must be in original condition. Textbooks will be considered used and not eligible for a full refund if you write in them or cancel after the published return period.
You may return your rental textbooks for a full refund during the first week of the semester.
The rental textbook is property of the U of MN Bookstores. Avoid additional charges to your student account and help out the student by using it next term by taking care of your textbooks.
Your student account will be charged if your rental textbook
- Is not returned in sale-able condition.
- Is returned with torn pages or water/binding damage.
- Is not checked in by the due date and/or is missing any components.
- If it is lost or stolen. Please contact the Bookstores as soon as possible to avoid late fees.
The U of MN Bookstores reserve the right to reevaluate the condition of the rental textbook within 30 days of the check-in due date.
Avoid additional fees
Un-returned rentals will be charged at the replacement value in addition to the original rental fee. Please note, you will not receive money back when you check-in your rental textbooks. Bookstores are not responsible for reminding you of return dates.