- Bring your U Card or another picture ID.
- Bring your original cash register receipt.
- Textbooks purchased after the return deadline are non-refundable.
- New textbooks must be in perfect condition for a refund. No writing, highlighting, or other marks.
- Items labeled as "Not Returnable if Opened" must be returned in original, unopened wrapping or container.
- Refund will be issued to the same payment method used used for purchase.
- Excessive returns will not be allowed without proof of class cancellation.
If, for any reason, you are not pleased with your selection, you may return the merchandise for an exchange or full refund within 30 days of purchase. To receive a refund, or exchange, please bring your original receipt. Defective clothing and clothing in new condition with tags still on are eligible for a refund. If you wish to ship your return, please see instructions in the Online Clothing and Gift Orders section.
May be exchanged or returned for refund to any of the University of Minnesota Bookstores or shipped to our warehouse at the following address:
- University of Minnesota Bookstores DC
- Attn: Returns
- 701 24th Ave. S.E.
- Suite 50
- Minneapolis, MN 55414
Your return package should include all original packaging, paperwork, and receipts. For exchanges, please write "exchange for" on the receipt with either the SKU, size, or item description. We recommend shipping all merchandise returns via UPS. We will credit the same credit card account we charged on your order. Standard shipping charges will be applied to orders that are reshipped.
This policy covers all computers, tablets, iPods, phones, Apple Watch, software, cameras, ink, gaming, and earbuds sold through the U of MN Bookstores M Tech Store.
- Opened products listed above are not returnable.
- Customized or configured products are not returnable.
- Unopened regular stocked products may be returned within 30 days from the date of purchase with the original receipt.
- Open products not listed above will be charged a 10% restocking fee and must have original packaging in sellable condition.
If we offer a lower price within seven days of your purchase (regular priced merchandise only), you may bring in the original receipt within 14 days of the price change to receive a refund for the difference.
If your product is defective or inoperable upon first use, please visit our contact us page and select the Computers & Technology category option and describe your issue in the Message section.
Eligible Students may charge technology purchases for personal academic use to their student account. The U of MN Bookstores reserves the right to limit the quantity of merchandise charged to a student account, and determine eligibility on an individual basis. Students may purchase a maximum of one Computer, one iPad, and three iPods per year from date of purchase. Review our purchasing terms here.
- Course Materials may be returned for a full refund during the first week of the semester. To receive a full refund, textbooks must meet the return dates and be in their original condition.
- B-Term textbooks may be returned one week from the start of the course. Course Packets may be returned within three days of the start of the course. To receive a full refund, textbooks must meet the return dates and be in their original condition.
Open Loose-Leaf materials are not returnable.
- Course Materials for classes lasting two weeks or less are not refundable.
- eTextbooks are returnable two weeks from the purchase date up to the last day of returns as listed above. eTextbooks are not returnable once accessed.
- eTextbooks are not refundable once accessed
- Digital course packets are not refundable
If you need to exchange or return an item you ordered online from our website, repackage your order and ship to the following address.
- U of MN Bookstore
- Attn: Textbook Returns
- 300 Washington Ave SE
- Minneapolis, MN 55455
All-Inclusive Classes With Required Digital Course Materials
If your instructor has selected digital materials for your course, the content is automatically delivered to your learning platform and billed to your student account. If you wish to opt out of these course materials please send an email from your University of Minnesota email account with your name, course and section number to Digital Opt Out.
B-Term and 8 Week Summer Session Return Dates
Returnable one week from start of class. Course packets are returnable the first three days.
May Term and Summer Courses that meet less than 8 weeks, but more than 2 weeks Return Dates.
Returnable the first three days of class. Course packets are returnable the first day only.
Courses Meeting Two Weeks or Less Return Dates
Online and Distance Learning Returns
Returnable within two months of the start date of the extended term if you cancel your registration. You must provide your receipt and proof of your cancellation. Textbooks must be in original condition. Textbooks will be considered used and not eligible for a refund if you write in them or cancel after two months.
Returnable within one week of the start date of the summer term and within two weeks of the start date of the fall or spring term if you cancel your registration. You must provide your receipt and proof of your cancellation. Textbooks must be in original condition. Textbooks will be considered used and not eligible for a full refund if you write in them or cancel after the published return period.
You may return your rental textbooks for a full refund during the first week of the semester.
The rental textbook is property of the U of MN Bookstores. Avoid additional charges to your student account and help out the student by using it next term by taking care of your textbooks.
Your student account will be charged if your rental textbook
- Is not returned in sale-able condition.
- Is returned with torn pages or water/binding damage.
- Is not checked in by the due date and/or is missing any components.
- If it is lost or stolen. Please contact the Bookstores as soon as possible to avoid late fees.
The U of MN Bookstores reserve the right to reevaluate the condition of the rental textbook within 30 days of the check-in due date.
Avoid additional fees
Un-returned rentals will be charged at the replacement value in addition to the original rental fee. Please note, you will not receive money back when you check-in your rental textbooks. Bookstores are not responsible for reminding you of return dates.
Books may be returned to the U of MN Bookstores location where the books were purchased within 30 days. You must have your original receipt and books must be in re-saleable condition. If the book comes with a CD or access code, the seal must be unbroken to return.
Medical Reference Books are non-returnable.
Returns only accepted on defective product within 30 days of purchase and with the original receipt.
- Unopened, non-special order product may be returned within 30 days from the date of purchase with the original receipt
- If we offer a lower price within seven days of your purchase, you may bring in the original receipt within 14 days of the price change to receive a refund for the difference
- Study Aids
- Embroidered Clothing
- Clearance Items
- Medical Reference Books
- Custom Computers & Tablets
- Opened Consumable Art Supplies
- Some Special Order Items